If you’re looking to turn your garden into a haven for birds, then we have some expert tips to get your plan off the ground.
This time of year is notoriously tough for our feathered friends, with food in short supply thanks to trees being bare and the ground firm.
But thanks to the UK’s go-to home and garden retailer, it’s easier than ever to transform your garden into an oasis for wild birds.
Providing birds with some additional high-energy nutritious food can make all the difference in giving them some much-needed support. At wilko, there’s an extensive range of bird seed, feed and fat balls to help them out, as well as a variety of good value, easy-to-maintain bird feeders designed especially with our feathered friends in mind.
So we’ve spoken to the experts at wilko to reveal their six best bits of advice for wannabe birdwatchers to up the tiny footfall in their back yards.
And to celebrate all the wild birds you’re sure to have flocking to your garden, wilko is inviting you to share your best wild bird photos in its annual competition.
The 12 winning photographers will have their pictures printed in its 2021 Wild Bird Calendar and receive a £100 gift card to spend at wilko.
The wilko wild bird competition runs from January 26 to March 29 2020. Your photo must be taken in a garden or other outdoor setting and, of course, needs to be your own work.
SIX TIPS TO ATTRACT MORE BIRDS TO YOUR GARDEN
1. A hanging feeder containing seeds or fat balls will be loved by the likes of sparrows, finches and tits.
2. A peanut feeder will please starlings, woodpeckers and chaffinches.
3. A bird table, whether freestanding or hung from a tree, will attract finches, nuthatches and parakeets.
4. Food scattered on the ground will be enjoyed by thrushes, blackbirds and collared doves.
5. High-energy dried mealworms or suet pellets studded with tasty insects are suitable for feeders, tables and ground feeding.
6. And don’t forget to provide fresh water! Ponds, puddles and other water sources may freeze over, making them inaccessible to birds.
GET STARTED WITH THESE WILKO PRODUCTS
There are lots of great wild bird products available at your local wilko store and online here at wilko.com to get you started, several of which we’ve featured below. For advice about giving birds a helping hand all year round, follow wilko on Twitter and Instagram @LoveWilko and on Facebook at facebook.com/LoveWilko/.