Harvey Weinstein, the former powerhouse movie producer who was sentenced last month in a New York courtroom to 23 years in prison, is facing a new criminal charge in Los Angeles County in California, officials announced on Friday.
The county district attorney, Jackie Lacey, said that one felony count of sexual battery by restraint was added to an existing case against Mr. Weinstein.
Mr. Weinstein, 68, was charged in January with one felony count each of forcible rape, forcible oral copulation, sexual penetration by use of force and sexual battery by restraint.
That criminal complaint was related to charges stemming from accusations made by two women: an Italian model and actress who said he raped her, and a second model who said he trapped her in a hotel bathroom and masturbated while he groped her.
The authorities said each of the attacks happened within about a day of each other in 2013.
“As we gather corroborating evidence, we have reached out to other possible sexual assault victims,” Ms. Lacey said in a news release. “If we find new evidence of a previously unreported crime, as we did here, we will investigate and determine whether additional criminal charges should be filed.”
Lawyers for Mr. Weinstein could not be immediately reached on Friday.
The victim in the latest case was first interviewed by law enforcement officials in October 2019 as a possible corroborating witness in the charges brought in January.
Last month, she provided detectives with information confirming that an assault took place within the 10-year statute of limitation — on May 11, 2010 — at a Beverly Hills hotel, Ms. Lacey said.
Prosecutors have started the process of requesting temporary custody of Mr. Weinstein from New York, the first of several steps in the extradition process. California prosecutors said it was unclear when he would be transferred to Los Angeles County.
Prosecutors also on Friday announced that two cases involving Mr. Weinstein were declined for prosecution because the victims did not want to testify against him.
His sentencing in New York last month capped a stunning fall from power for Mr. Weinstein that began in October 2017 when, after years of rumors, several women openly accused him of sexual assault and harassment. He tested positive for the coronavirus in March.
The women’s stories sparked the #MeToo movement, prompting women to speak publicly about their mistreatment by powerful men in industries including business, manufacturing, the media and the arts among others.