F.B.I. Arrests Dennis Tyler, Mayor of Muncie, Indiana

F.B.I. Arrests Dennis Tyler, Mayor of Muncie, Indiana

F.B.I. agents arrested the mayor of Muncie, Ind., at his home on Monday, bringing to a head a multiyear federal investigation of corruption allegations that have engulfed his administration.

Chris Bavender, an F.B.I. spokeswoman, confirmed the arrest in a statement, saying that “an arrest warrant was executed at the home of Mayor Dennis Tyler this morning and he is currently in custody.” She directed further questions to the United States attorney’s office for the Southern District of Indiana, which said that the matter was under seal and that it would hold a news conference about the case on Monday afternoon.

The arrest followed years of investigations, beginning in 2016, that looked into allegations of wrongdoing in and around Mr. Tyler’s administration.

In 2017, F.B.I. investigators searched the city’s offices. In January of this year, the city’s former building commissioner, Craig Nichols, was sentenced to two years in prison on charges of wire fraud and money laundering. And in July, Muncie’s sanitary district administrator, Debra Grigsby, was indicted on charges of wire fraud and other crimes, accused of using her authority to steer public projects to companies in exchange for kickbacks.

In April, Mr. Tyler, a Democrat, announced that he would not seek re-election for a third term. His term ends on Dec. 31.

“At 76 years old, I’m at a place in my life where I want to spend more quality time with my wife, my children and my grandchildren,” Mr. Tyler said at the time, according to The Star Press, a newspaper in Muncie.

Asked if the F.B.I. investigation in the city had any influence on his decision not to run again, he said, “none whatsoever,” according to the paper.

Mr. Tyler, whose office did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Monday, grew up in Muncie, a city of about 68,500 residents in East Central Indiana, roughly 50 miles northeast of Indianapolis. He graduated from Muncie Central High School and was a line captain for the Muncie Fire Department before retiring after 42 years of service.

He became mayor in 2012 after serving as a state representative for six years.

During his time as mayor, he reopened two fire stations, restarted summer programs in the city parks and repaved more than 179 roads, according to his office’s website. He also endorsed programs supporting people with autism and developmental disabilities.

He is set to be succeeded as mayor by Dan Ridenour, a Republican who was elected this month.

Source link

About The Author

Related posts

Leave a Reply